One comes across many different types of lights in day-to-day life, especially in the architectural world. In fact, architectural lighting can be seen in fancy places like clubs, restaurants, workplaces, and homes. Lighting is an integral part of today’s life. There is no world without proper lighting.
Architectural lighting is the field of decorating the interior or exterior of a place with different kinds of lights—the number and type of lights depending on the room’s size and the required lighting. For instance, a college would require more lights compared to an apartment. Likewise, a restaurant looking for an extravagant look would require bright lighting instead of a simple cafe. Many people hire interior designers to view better different lighting options that would suit the place.
Lights are also used for decorative purposes. A few LED lamps and sunlight lamps do not provide much lumination but are still used as they give the environment a simple and aesthetic look. They can either be battery-operated or powered through electricity.
The following are the most common lighting equipment used in different places:
- i) Incandescent bulbs- These are the oldest architectural lighting used since electricity was invented. Brighter the bulb, the hotter the filament. People still use such bulbs to give a vintage feel. Interior designers have suggested these bulbs recently to bring back a nostalgic feeling.
- ii) Neon lamps- These funky lights give the place a relaxed vibe. The lights fit in a glass tube and are available in different fluorescent colours. These lights are commonly used in clubs and bars to give a jazzy feeling to the people there. These bulbs are not that bright and are available in different shapes and sizes. One can also customize them according to their needs.
- iii) Fluorescent tubes- Such lights are the most widely used lighting. They can be found in every house across the world. Be it a hospital or a home, it gets the job done. They emit less light as compared to LED lights. They are cheaper than LED lights but draw more power.
- iv) Compact Fluorescent lights- These spiral lights are mini fluorescent tubes but more compact. These bulbs are widely used in photo studios as they emit bright light. Their operation cost is also relatively low.
- v) Halogen lamps- These lamps are designed to be very safe, although they emit a lot of light and heat. Lower watt Halogen bulbs can be used for household purposes. For example, they are commonly used in slide projectors in colleges and offices.
- vi) Low-pressure sodium lamps- These lamps contain low-pressure sodium vapour and emit low light. They are used when dim lighting is needed. Such lamps are used in restaurants to create a romantic atmosphere. They are very efficient as their operating cost is low, and they are durable.
- vii) Chandelier- They are branched lights that are hung up on the ceiling. They are available in different sizes and shapes. Circular chandeliers with many mini lights hanging from them are the most common types of architectural lighting found. They give a fancy look to the room it is hung in. The chandelier’s bulbs can be either regular fluorescent bulbs or LED ones.
- viii) Fairy lights- Mini bulbs are attached to a long rope made of insulating material. Such kinds of lights are called fairy lights. They are used on special occasions such as birthdays, festivals, or any special occasion. These are not permanent lights as they are for temporary decor and can easily be removed. These are stuck on walls or wrapped around different objects using strong cello tape.